Sunday, August 12, 2012

About Town - Solvang, Santa Ines Mission, Clairmont Lavender Farm

It's HOT HOT HOT!  102 degrees hot!  And we needed to get out of L.A.  At least for a day.  A drive up the coast to the quaint Dutch town of Solvang (sunny field in Danish) was just the ticket!  The town is about a 2 hour ride away from Los Angeles and it is nestled in the Santa Ynez Valley in scenic Santa Barbara County wine country.
We love to go for the great food, abundance of sweet treats, antique and European ware shopping and the down home vibe that exudes from every detail from the flower pots in windows and the lace valances to the smiling shop keepers.
(www.solvangusa.com)
SOLVANG













My favorite meal in Solvang:  Bratwurst and sauerkraut sandwich
with home fries (potatoes boiled, cut and then fried).  YUM!









**The best dessert is their Æbleskiver but I was too busy licking my fingers to take a picture...**

Have no idea who this guy is but he would NOT move so I can take a picture!


A miniature of these clogs is now attached to our fridge!

I haven't mentioned this before:  I don't drink.  A sip of wine here and there a couple of times a year and a sip of champagne for New Years.  So when I entered this cute wine tasting room (the Hubby and kids were across the street stuffing themselves full of fudge) and answered "Yes" when the lady asked me if I wanted a tasting I quite shocked myself.  SO I tasted five kinds of wine (see how much was in the glass?) which probably added up to one whole glass.  It was kind of fun to do an activity that requires you to be over 21!  (Mothers out there know what I mean!)  I walked out of there not even buzzed!  First time I drink a whole glass of wine in years and not even a giddy chuckle!  Oh well!







Right next to Solvang (literally across the street) is the Santa Ines Mission.  I always love to include something educational for the kids whenever we go places and since my son learned about California's missions in school this was ideal.

SANTA INES MISSION

When I travel (especially for long road trips sitting in the car) I like to wear loose and breezy blouses, capri pants and comfy shoes).  If you've been following me for a while I guess you can tell that I have a definite affinity for white lacy/crochet blouses.
Blouse:  Banana Republic (old); Pants: H&M; Hat: F21 I think; Flats: Tory Burch; Armor Ring: Target; Sunnies: Chanel Bag: Fendi












About 10 minutes from Solvang is the Clairmont Lavender Farm.  I LOVE lavender and any and all products made with lavender so this was definitely a must stop.
CLAIRMONT LAVENDER FARM



My daughter playing peek-a-boo!

The distillery.



The smell inside the small lavender shop was intoxicating!

Small take home lavender satchel that I could not stop smelling all the way home.




As we were leaving a bride and groom arrived in a limo to take some wedding pictures.

****
So, what are you waiting for?  Hop on your vehicle of choice and get to Solvang!


9 comments:

  1. wow,great pics,thank's for sharing!!! nice look,love hat on you! xoxooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lavender is also on my favorites list. These photos are so cool. Love those houses.

    www.zadinblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to this place and it's a pity because t ssems to be very interesting!!
    I love your outfit! I am really impressed with LA tempeature, last time I was there it was like 25°C in august!!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOLVANG CA is one of my favorite destinations...I probably will never get tired to going back to that awesome place!!

    Rebecca
    www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic pictures, Dana! I swear, that town looks nothing like what I would expect any small town in California to look like. I've been up and down Cali and I've never even heard of this place. What a shame I didn't visit it when I was living so close in Vegas. It looks so, so lovely.

    That lavender farm is heaven! I can see why newly married folks would want their pics taken there. P.s. Love your nail polish!

    And LOL @ that man eating his ice cream in your picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a quaint little town! Your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are amazing photos! So, 102? We're expected to have a low 70s week, so I am guessing a heatwave is coming. I once visited a Dutch town in Michigan, it was so much fun, and the wooden shoes are always so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photos...Love the food and you look radiant :) xx

    ReplyDelete